Guest series: My positive birth story #18 – Sumra (Sweet Dreamer) part 2

This week, we have the second birth story from the lovely Sumra, from Sweet Dreamer. I’m so happy to have been able to include both her birth stories in this series.


Rabab Fatima

If you’ve already read my first born’s birth story, you’ll know that I had sort of an eventful, unexpectedly early delivery. The second time around, my husband and I were prepared with a plan of action, weeks before my due date, because we were anticipating a similar scenario. Well, Rabab Fatima did not come so quickly into this world.

When I say my husband and I were ready for this baby weeks before, I mean we were prepped and ready with a hospital bag at 34 weeks. Yes, lesson learned from my first delivery: pack your hospital bag at least four weeks prior to delivery.

In the days preceding her birth, I was growing extremely impatient, uncomfortable, and had just about had it with this long and tiring pregnancy. What made this pregnancy more challenging (apart from the length of time that Rabab stayed in my belly) was that, on top of her weight, I was also carrying my 17-month-old first born in my arms.

The day before

We had established a plan to naturally induce the next morning at 7:00am, because I just couldn’t handle the pressure and weight of this baby anymore. We had arranged for my mom to come and pick up my daughter Ridha, and take her home so that she could stay the night. Easier said than done … for us. We had never been apart from our daughter, and it was probably the hardest thing we had to do. I remember my mom pulling out of our street with Ridha in the backseat in tears as she realized that she was being separated from her parents. The house felt empty and sad, as were our hearts.

Day of delivery

I woke up early the next morning, feeling ready and pumped as we drove to the hospital. When we arrived, we were taken into an examination room, due to full capacity. (Keep in mind that it was Saturday of 4 July weekend.) This tiny, cramped room had to have been a storage room converted into an exam room. After being checked and asked a million questions by the nurse, I was quickly moved into a labor and delivery room … because the baby was coming on her own! The on-call OB said to me: ‘You don’t need an induction, because your labor has begun, you just didn’t know it’.

Because of a condition called GBS, I needed an IV antibiotic, which took four hours. Those hours did not pass by quickly enough. It was Ramadan, remember, so my husband was fasting a.k.a., lifeless and pretty quiet. We spent a good chunk of time browsing our phones. My contractions began to get stronger, but very bearable. It was a very easygoing labor, very mellow and uneventful, even a little boring.


After the four hours were up, my doctor said to me: ‘Let’s go ahead and get that baby out, hmm?’ Sure, might as well. I remember it was 2:00pm when we decided to break the water. I did not ask for any epidural or medication this time. And the reason was because my first delivery went absolutely fine without it, so I did not think it was necessary.

Once my water broke, that was it. No more mellowness, no more calm. I would give anything for boring now. The contractions came on incredibly strong, there was no medium. It was as if a car went from being parked, to full blown highway speed of 85mph. The intensity was insane and excrutiating. My entire body shook and I lost all control. The pushing began with full force and I began giving one, two, three strong pushes.

My eyes were closed tight and when I was finished, I opened to see my husband leaning over and nurses at his side asking him to take a seat. The poor man had nearly fainted. Fasting and delivery don’t really go together. They immediately had him sit down on the side, away from all the mess. Nurses tended to him, brought him juice, and made sure that he wasn’t passing out. Meanwhile, I was still contracting and ready to keep pushing. It felt like a Hollywood movie scene and you’re waiting for the punch line. Of course it’s comical now, and when we remember it, we laugh.

At 39 weeks, this was definitely a larger baby, and much, much harder to push out than my first. So, that last and final push took everything out of me. I remember it feeling like it was the longest I have ever held my breath. My husband says I turned blue, and I remember him yelling at me, ‘Stop, Sumra, stop! Breathe!’ But I didn’t listen, because I wasn’t done. Just a couple seconds more and, sure enough, she came with full force. It was such an emotional moment, not like my first time, where I didn’t know anything. This moment, I knew; I remembered it, and I was overjoyed and so thankful.

Rabab Fatima Hassan
Born: 2 July 2016 at 2:30pm, weighing 7.14 lb, and measuring 18″.

**Originally published on Sweet Dreamer**


Thanks so much, Sumra, for sharing your story! Next week, we have the third birth story for Hannah, and the last instalment of the series – you won’t want to miss it! (Please note that submissions for this series have closed.)

About Sumra

Sumra Hassan is a full-time mum of two daughters aged 2.5 years and 16 months, and lives in New Jersey with her husband. She loves to go on adventures with her little ones, finding new eateries, and blogging. You can visit her blog at Sweet Dreamer.

Connect with Sumra




About The Author

Mini Mummi Blogger

Mini Mummi Blogger is a first time mummy to a beautiful baby boy. Currently on maternity leave, she is looking to put her writing/publishing experience to good use through her blog, helping other mummies navigate through the wealth of often conflicting (and, sometimes, even discouraging) information out there about pregnancy and motherhood. She believes that every mummy knows what’s best for her own baby – even first time mums!

Leave A Comment

Leave a Reply